Speaking of Behemoth

Gesila(MI Z5)June 12, 2013

This year, the long arching leaves of Behemoth are tickling my fancy and giving me the urge to add to my collection. I lost my Behemoth over the winter and can't find one locally. I will be on the look-out for one when I start traveling at the end of the month.

In the meantime, I was looking for hostas that have the long arching leaves like Behemoth. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Gesila

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ludi _PA_7a

Gesila,

I would recommend Mikado as a look-a-like for Behemoth.

Here is the link to a REALLY old post showing a very mature Mikado.

H. âÂÂMikadoâÂÂ

This post is the reason I bought mine. I got it last year from Chick @ Bridegwood.

It seems to be a slow grower thus far, not putting on too much growth from last year when compared to some of my other first years. Then again, it also had some rotted roots this spring I noticed when I repotted it out of the topsoil mess I created. I imagine that set this yearâÂÂs growth back a bit.

There are also hostas King Michael and King James, but IâÂÂm not sure you will be able to find those ones since they are such old cultivars.

There is some ongoing dispute that hostas: King Michael, King James, and Mikado are all really the same plant. Is this true ? I have no idea.

ItâÂÂs the montana heritage you are after with the long languid leaves. So, if none of these IâÂÂve mentioned come up on a vendor search, look for montana in the lineage.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up deciding on. :)

Ludi

My youngling âÂÂMikadoâ on 05/30/2013

And a very old King Michael I saw while up in Michigan

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 6:38PM
Ludi _PA_7a

OMG . . . I just noticed who the original author was from that old Mikado post . . .

ItâÂÂs Sidney1515 . . . who I noticed has been posting recently !!!

IâÂÂm totally calling them out to post a new picture of Mikado since that one was from 2009.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 6:43PM
sidney1515

How about montana f. macrophylla. This is a four year old. . not too old yet.

or Mikado

or King Michael

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:03PM
Gesila(MI Z5)

I must stay off this forum. We have Nate the Great for my DH's son and Sir Richard for my youngest. Now I see King Michael, for my oldest. But I need both Behemoth and Mikado now.

Thanks Ludi. I saw your post to Sidney.

Gesila

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:52PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Yeah, Ludi has been doing his homework in the forum archives. I noticed the return of Sidney1515 as well......a welcome return for sure. Hope to see a lot of Sidney in the coming months. Like Gesila, who can resist one or more or all the above?

If I could have ONE, which would it be? Or throw Empress Wu into the options. NOW which one? This is getting critical. Should I cancel the remodel of our house and look for another with a larger garden? Maybe an AIR CONDITIONED garden?

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 12:21AM
Gesila(MI Z5)

Sidney, that King Michael is sweet! That is a must have!

Your montana f. macrophylla is gorgeous. My montana f. macrophylla is flat. The lamium is taller than my montana, no arching leaves here:

Gesila

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:00AM
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON(5b)

This may be a wee bit off topic for the original post in this thread but...speaking of archives - is there a way to search for a particular user's posts?
For example: I would like to see more of UK's pics from prior years. I am searching for the name of the bright yellow pie crust edge hosta that he has.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 1:31PM
idiothe(4 MN)

My vote for best green with large leaves, upright form, arching leaves... would be Niagara Falls. It won the ultra-prestigious Benedict Award last year.

I don't have NF, but I have War Paint and it is a special favorite. It starts off in the spring with the form of NF, but with a multicolored light center - very striking. It will, over just a few weeks, go completely green. Some folks are bummed by that, but since when it becomes all green it is a dead ringer for the very-elegant Niagara Falls, I don't consider it a detriment. I just think of it as getting 2 hostas for the price (and space) of one.

Chris of Hallsons has said that he has two nametags... in his display garden, he marks War Paint in the spring. When it turns green, he replaces the tag with one for Niagara Falls to avoid confusing nursery visitors...

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 2:33PM
Ludi _PA_7a

WOW Sidney, who knew you were hoarding these amazing hostas ?!?!

Where in the world did you find a King Michael ? I would love to have one of my own.

That macrophylla is gorgeous as well.

Thanks so much again for sharing your gentle giants. :)

Ludi

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
Not sure this has been posted in awhile Papou's Gardens
He was gone before I joined the site, but he had some...
leafwatcher
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
hostanista
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™