Eating pea leaves

hemnancy(z8 PNW)March 30, 2009

I ordered pea seeds from Evergreen Enterprises which sells Chinese or Asian seeds. One variety of peas is supposed to be for eating the young leaves and tips. Can all peas be eaten in this way? Has anyone tried them? I planted some and will try them when they have grown.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Pisum sativum plants are edible, whether they are palatable to you is a matter of taste. Most of the folks who eat them use snow peas. Primarily in Chinese dishes.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 10:57AM
jimster(z7a MA)

Linked below is a thread on the Asian Vegetables forum about pea shoots. There are several others. When you search for info on this topic, try using the phrase "pea shoots". That will give you the most appropriate hits.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pea Shoots

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 4:45PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Here's a recipe. They are a Chinese delicacy and normally are prepared in a simple way such as this.

I've never grown or cooked them. I have eaten them in a Chinese restaurant and they were good.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pea Shoot Recipe

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 4:50PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

Thanks for the info. I will have to try eating some shoots soon. I have planted my cold frame and they are up, and just seeded some more peas in a couple of rows. I also think I'll try growing them in late July again too for a fall crop. I'm interested to see how the seeds supposedly for shoots are different from the other peas. Avalanche snow peas are new for me this year too and they are sprouting vigorously and with more tendrils than the other peas.

The idea of eating the wayward vines that flop over and break if you try to pull them up is interesting.

Nancy

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 5:57AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

I enjoy pea shoots, but (usually) don't plant peas for that purpose. When I grow soup peas, there are always some seeds that get knocked to the ground during thunderstorms, and can't be saved. Many of these "volunteers" will germinate in the Fall. The young shoots usually survive the first frost, and are a welcome "salad" when not much else is still growing. The first 2-3" or so is tender; depending upon the variety, I may eat them raw, or use them in stir fry. Just as with snap beans, some varieties are sweet & tender eaten raw, some are not.

There were years (in warmer climes) when I planted peas as part of a mixed Winter cover crop, along with oats/barley and vetch/favas. These peas were seldom able to pod before they were turned under, but I would harvest a lot of shoots before the cover crop was mowed.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 3:52AM
More Discussions
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
Sponsored Products
Vienna Full Spectrum Essa 12" Wide Chrome - Crystal Pendant
Lamps Plus
Mestro Salmon Knife - Pott
$275.00 | HORNE
Furniture of America Tacinth 2-Piece Counter Height Parsons Dining Chairs - Dark
$323.97 | Hayneedle
21-1/2" Halloween Skeleton Dog on Leash
Grandin Road
Cascade Chandelier by Currey & Company
$620.00 | Lumens
Mash Studios | LAXseries Dark Occasional Table, Limited Edition
YLiving.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™