Another Surprise

aseedisapromiseJune 12, 2013

I took an iris rhizome from along the bike path in my town, I have to confess. I have to say in my defense that they never bloomed where they were as the riparian growth and grass had overcome them, and since I watched the city mow and spray and kill most of them with herbicide along with the wild rose, chokecherry and dogbane they were targeting for about four years, I thought I would save a few and see what they were. Only one of two survived their first really hard year after the herbicide. Then I had to move it here to my new place, and it grew alongside of other iris that didn't bloom the first year after being moved. This second year I had forgotten it, but it bloomed anyway. I think it might be Mrs Valerie West. What do you all think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pdsavage(5/6)

Looks like mine very old ones called Indian chief.

Hybridized by Ayres; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1929

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:00PM
aseedisapromise

Thanks for your suggestion. The HIPS site says about Indian Chief, "'Netted' standards are wire-edged fall color." Mine doesn't have this. What is also weird about mine that makes it not match much is the white rim on the falls. The photo is kind of washed out some. Here is another. We had some hail last night, so things are a little tattered. I also think that the beards on mine really come out farther on the fall, and the standards don't have the netting that Indian Chief does.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:39PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

In all the pictures I've seen 'Indian Chief' doesn't have the blended fall edge. Oopa, see you've noted that.

Possibly 'Valor' - Nicholls'32

Here is a link that might be useful: http://wiki.irises.org/bin/view/TbUthruZ/TbValor

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:10PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

bump up

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 6:20PM
aseedisapromise

Sorry, I didn't see your suggestion until you bumped it up. Valor has the rim on the falls, but I wonder if it isn't more violet than the one that I have. The standards have a real brownish cast to them. It's so hard to tell from photos, cameras and photographers are all so different. Maybe it is just surrounded by all my purple iris, which make it look redder than it is. I will keep Valor in mind. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™