Opinions on my plan, please :)

gardeningmomof5January 22, 2013

I'm new to growing under lights. But I'm sick of shelling out loads of money for seedling every spring, and I can so much more variety if I start my own!

So here is my plan, any and all opinions welcome for a newbie. Set up a aprox 3 6ft plastic tables, all pushed together. Several shop lights, with the special aquarium/growing light (saw them at home depot I think). Fashion foil around the sides, and drape clear plastic sheeting over the whole thing to create a more humid environment.

Also, unsure about a couple things. I was planning on buying the bag of organic potting mix they sell at walmart. Is that I should be using, or something with more vermiculite? And I think I read that the light should be apprx 2" above the seedlings?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardeningmomof5

Forgot to add, I'll be growing veggies, flowers and herbs (just basil). Not sure if they would need different lighting or growing medium.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 1:01PM
halfway(5a)

You will find you have very strong starts and have saved a ton of money.

You are going about it in a methodical and smart way and this will help flatten the learning curve. I am excited for you as the learning phase is full of research and experimentation!

I grow all my starts to include peppers, tomatoes, herbs, etc. and they all start under shop lights in the basement.

I have several notes and even germination videos on my journal / blog below. Hope it helps. Here is a vid as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KZj2goFE

Have fun!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Indoor Growing Adventure

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 6:25PM
gardeningmomof5

Thank you, I will check it out!

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
Dwarf Papaya growing and blooming under grow lights
Here are a couple pics of dwarf papaya plants that...
arctictropical
Timers that reduce and increase lighting to simulate seasons
I was talking to MesaGardens today and he mentioned...
Bama_Joe
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™