Do we have a compost facility in La?

soundgarden(z8/ New Orleans, La)September 12, 2004

I keep hearing about all these other states that have "compost sites" where the city puts leaves and grass clippings in huge piles to make compost and I was wondering if we have anything like that around here.

What about free mulch? Have any of you ever called local tree companies and asked them to bring you their truck loads of tree chips to use as mulch? Do you have any other suggestions for free mulch?

Thanks, Annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_oak_lady(Zone 9)

Write the Parkways department in Jefferson Parish at WNocito@jeffparish.net and ask. There is a horse barn on the River Road in Jefferson Parish with wonderful composted manure. Drive your pickup truck and get all you want for free.

Bookmark   September 13, 2004 at 10:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

We have a great facility in Lafayette. They pick up yard wastes and compost them and we can pick up the free compost. More places should do it--it cuts way down on stuff that would otherwise go into the landfills, and it's a wonderful resource for people, especially if you have a good strong back, which I don't. They will dump it in your pick-up for you, or you can fill containers or garbage bags yourself.

Bookmark   September 16, 2004 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
I am near Baton Rouge, and thinking of planting some...
mmckey2
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™