Bean companies?

lucillleMarch 17, 2014

I've been lurking and reading posts here and am interested in growing some of the more unusual beans. Some I saw here I could not even find for sale. I do not have a lot of room but can grow three or four varieties of pole beans.

I'd like the names of some companies please that sell some of the more unusual beans; but I would like to order online and not have to go buy a money order.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dlsm(Z9b Titusville Fl)

Lucille, google that question and you will get all the bean companys that has pole beans for sale. What do you call unusal pole beans? I'm sure you will get answers from others on this site.

Luther

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 8:13AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Hi Lucille
Finding some of the more unusual varieties can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Google individual varieties and you should find some of them, others are not sold commercially just traded amongst ourselves.
If you give us a list of what you are looking for we might be able help you find a source.

Annette

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 10:01AM
lucillle

The two kinds I'd like to start with this year are Anasazi and Poltschka, I would be grateful if someone would point me to a company that sells them.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 11:09AM

I'm sure there are more companies that sell Anasazi but I've dealt with Seed Dreams with good results they have them listed. I've also seen them listed at Purcell Mountain Farms. Other than that I'd have to do a search.

Poletschka is not sold commercially as far as I know, one or two people on this forum are growing it though. I don't have enough to share right now but hopefully in the fall. Russ Crow has them in his collection you might want to contact him.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: A bean collectors Window

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 12:26PM
lucillle

Thank you for the info.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:23PM

Here you go, just found this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poletschka Beans

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:26PM
lucillle

Annette you are awesome thank you

This post was edited by lucille on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 15:48

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 3:20PM

This will be my first time growing Poletschka so can't can't comment on them myself but I did find this bit of information on them.
Poletschka produces masses of knobby bright green pods which can be eaten when small. The plants are rampant climbers and set load of pods. When shelled out fresh the beans are various shades of purple and mauve but when fully mature the are a very dark purple-black. They are smallish, coco-shaped and rounded, and very, very, shiny, so the dried beans look a bit like black currants.
The beans cook to a chestnut-red color and turn the cooking water black. They taste good and are very hearty. They cook quite easily from fresh but after drying they may need a good long soak as the skins tend to be quite thick and waterproof.

Annette

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 12:02PM
lucillle

Thank you. Can all dry beans be eaten in the pod when they are small?

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
ruthieg__tx
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Naturals Tobago Abrigail Area Rug - RUG112472
$62.00 | Hayneedle
WhiteHaus Reversible Series WHFLRPL2018 20 in. Single Basin Farmhouse Sink - WHF
$740.55 | Hayneedle
Rizzy Home Wavy Chevron Stripe Hand Embroidered Accent Pillow Multicolor - PILT0
$48.00 | Hayneedle
Walker Edison 53-in. Solid Wood Console with 4-Doors - Walnut Brown - HN52C4DOWB
$289.00 | Hayneedle
Summerhouse Settee - MULTI COLORS
$7,500.00 | Horchow
Relaxation Collection Dreamax 11 in. Euro Pillow Top Mattress - IDF-DM315F-M
$534.98 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Mythos Selene Traditional Oriental Pattern Wool Tufted Rug - ROV005019-00
$152.00 | Hayneedle
Imperial NFL Billiard Triangle - IMP 73-1001
$29.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™