Visit to south Louisiana in early 2007

Tennessee(z7TN)October 25, 2006

My husband & I are thinking about taking a trip to the gulf coast area &/or New Orleans & wondered how plants in the area are doing after Katrina. Are there garden areas to visit in New Orleans?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerndrive

Tennessee, I am so happy to hear that you will be visiting New Orleans or the Mississippi gulf coast. You know how much we love to have good company down here!

Unfortunately, bad news. Not much has changed since Katrina. The Garden District of New Orleans is functioning almost normally, as is the French Quarter. St. Charles Avenue was mostly spared. The Central Business District is functioning, but not nearly at a pre-storm level.

Everything else, and I do mean everything, is either rubble or just plain gone. I am afraid everything is very ugly.

I do not know the status of the City Park Botanical Gardens; the Administrator's Office number is 504-483-9386.

If none of this is too distressing, I suggest a visit in early April which is the best weather for a visit and when the few things that survived, will be in bloom.

If you are not coming for scenic landscapes, there is still a lot to do and the Quarter is lovely, battered a bit, but still charming.

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 9:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigoledude(SE Louisiana)

Hey Volunteer

City Park Botanical Gardens is a horrible mess and the folks who would normally volunteer to help the park are struggling to put their own homes and lives back together.

I recently visited the "Gardens" and was told they would appreciate as many seeds as people could send. You might post a message on the "Tennessee" forum and gather up some seeds for the Park. I know the wonderful folks of that great state would respond with great results.

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 2:50AM
More Discussions
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Beets and Chard are Falling Over
Hello All, I've noticed recently that my beets and...
jshphoto
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™