Grow your own tea

shelbyclay(8B)October 5, 2004

Does anyone here have any Camelia Sinensis varieties? It is supposed to grow well in the south (so I hear).

My wife and I are both interested in trying it.

There seem to be several different ways of processing it to make different varieties of tea.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dannyboquet(z9 So Louisiana)

I am also interested in growing tea bushes. Raintree offers a couple of varieties. I was concerned about the difficulties involved in making black tea, as I much prefer it to green tea. I think I will order one of each variety anyhow, as they make nice ornamentals and I have a spot close to my house that would fit two plants. I don't know of anyone growing the bushes, but I know camelias grow well around here, if you acidify the soil some.

Bookmark   October 6, 2004 at 3:28PM
bigeasyjock(z8Ms)

You are correct about the black tea. Its fermented so ... ? I perfer the green so maybe I should try this for my self :)
Camellias grow great in Ms. Infact I have all sorts blooming as I write. I have .... oh dozen or so plants ... more? I don't have any of the C. japanica for some reason!?! Guess I'll put them on my list too.
I grow all sorts of herbs for teas; many different mints, pineapple sage, camomile. I have a bayleaf bush too that I was told makes a good tea. I'm thinking of trin' it sometime this winter. Seems like a strange one (bitter?)but I'll try anything ... once ;>
Please do post again if you go for the Camelia sinensis. I would be most interested in your results.
Mike

Bookmark   October 23, 2004 at 5:09PM
bigeasyjock(z8Ms)

I just found a web site saying that this link is the only know comerical tea produced in the U.S.
http://www.charlestonteagardens.com/
Mike

Bookmark   October 23, 2004 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
When to seed new lawn with Centipede?
We had our new house lot graded with fresh dirt in...
skb3_br
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Mirliton
Anybody see any Mirliton seedlings in the New Orleans,...
alblancher
Lake Charles fruit/citrus trees
Hi all, I'm in Lake Charles (zone 9). I am in the process...
rockydog101
South Louisiana Blueberries
Anyone growing blueberries in the ground in South Louisiana?...
pharmachad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™