large arbor memorial garden

michele_1October 19, 2006

Dear Folks,

I wanted to do something to help my husband get over the really bad days when he misses his deceased father. His dad was a gardener and grew lovely grapevines on an arbor in his backyard. I thought I would grow muscadines on a large arbor in his memory. I think the muscadines will be easier to grow in this area, N. MS, than other grapes.

My husband loves the idea. Here's the problem. He wants this large arbor built at the head of the driveway. It would be clearly visible from the street. I just don't know how it would look in the front yard. Never grown muscadines before and I don't know how this would look year round. Wouldn't it be better to put it in the side yard, so it is not the main focal point of the property.

Appreciate your suggesitons. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keiththibodeaux(z9a)

There is one like that just north of Lafayette clearly visible from I-49. Each side of the arbor starts with a single brick column about 4 to 5 feet high. The top, which goes across the driveway is an arch shape. Pretty awesome looking, but I suspect cost a pretty penny to get it done.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Dawn Weblog

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
Mirliton
Anybody see any Mirliton seedlings in the New Orleans,...
alblancher
Beets and Chard are Falling Over
Hello All, I've noticed recently that my beets and...
jshphoto
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Is it time to plant Four O'Clock seeds?
I bought a package of mixed color seeds that I want...
janet_la
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™