Indoor Pumpkin lights?

pumpkinbondJanuary 24, 2008

Im growing pumpkins in my dorm room at the moment I have six plants in 6" pots. Right now they are under a 4' shop light with fluorescent plant lights. They are just babies right now maybe 2 inches high I intend to take the pumpkins through to harvest and am wondering what to do about light. I have at my disposal a 1000 watt HPS but I have been told going from a 40 to 1000 will photobleach my plants and kill them. I was thinking that maybe I should wean them up? Pumpkins need full sun I just don't know what I should be using here if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks,

Bond

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
object16

1000w is just too strong. Buy yourself an inexpensive light meter for 30$ to determine the actual intensity. Keep the light really far away to start with, maybe about 2000 foot candles. Even better, consider buying a MH conversion lamp, it will not be as bright, and the blueness will probably benefit the plant in the initial stages more than an HPS. As they get bigger and bigger, then expose them to the glory of a 1000w HID HPS!!! Make sure the floor is well reinforced to handle the weight of the pumpkins. :) Paul Mozarowski.

Bookmark   January 25, 2008 at 12:49AM
sal_mando(z6a SW Ohio)

You're really going to grow pumpkins in a dorm room? How will that work?

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 4:52PM
umccamplover_yahoo_com

how did that work? i am soo obsessed with pumpkins right now, and i want to try crossing Prizewinner pumpkins with Howden Biggie pumpkins. i want to try this now so it won't affect my halloween crop if it goes horribly.

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
bulb question
I put a 75 W Philips Bulb - 120 volt- (Agro-Lite BR30)...
ellenr22
Need help Drip watering Basil inside
So i have a little closet grow room setup with lights,...
Riskebiz
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
Question about MH lights?
I have access to a lot of 400 watt metal halide lights,...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™