mirlitons

phill_LA(z8or9)October 19, 2012

I planted a mirliton vine this spring. It has climbed up a 7 ft trellis and is now growing horozontally and is looking good. I don't see any flowers yet and wonder if it will bear fruit this first year. I live just south of New Orleans. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
retsec

Go to mirlitons.org and see if this information helps you. Did you buy your mirliton at the store or get it from someone who grows them locally. We have tried several years to grow one from the store and it doesn't make any. This article explains this. I wish I could find one is grown locally from an old variety.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 10:57PM
phill_LA(z8or9)

thanks for the website. I got my mirliton from Rose Garden Center on the expressway in Marrero in the spring. I still don't see any flowers and I think that I should see some really soon or it will be too late for this year.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:42PM
mrskjun(9)

I haven't grown mirlitons in years, but I'll tell you how an old Cajun told me to plant them. You have to have two, and plant them with the small ends pointing toward each other. I don't know if this is an old wives tale or not, but we always had plenty of mirlitons.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 6:51AM
More Discussions
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
Do your snaps bloom in winter?
Hi, folks. It's pansy planting time here, and as I...
donnabaskets
Ligularia
I live in North Louisiana (zone 8a). I would like to...
savannaht
Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?
Hi! I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning...
taffyj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™