Repeat bloomer?

qualicumcountryJune 16, 2014

This iris has just finished blooming and new flowers are opening on the same stem - one each for each previous bloom. Thought repeat bloomers were season to season. Could it be continuous bloomer? Would love to find out more about this iris. It's about 18-24" tall. The colors are quite pale, very feminine looking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

It is called double socketed blooms. I only have one that consistently has 3 double sockets. Love 'em.

You're right. A rebloomer usually sends up a new stalk several months later (in the right conditions). But there are some that do it more quickly. Often labeled everbloomers. Sorry I don't have names. The only one I remember that kept producing new stalks was 'Amour'. A pastel peachy-pink with white falls edged peachy-pink. Don't know if it repeated in the fall.

Yours is wonderful! Edith Wolford has those colors but is usually much taller.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 9:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
qualicumcountry

Thank you so much for your help! This is an established yard with tons of plants, but they are new to me - just moved here 1 year ago. I've never heard of double socketed blooms and truly appreciate the information. I'll look up Edith Wolford - most of the plants here were uncared for and are just beginning to emerge from what was a weedy mess. Perhaps this iris has not been able to reach it's full height - with a little more care it may become more robust in the following years. Amour sounds truly lovely - I'll see if I can find that one to add to the beds.
Thanks again - you rock!

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™