sawtooth oak success?

gardenall(8)October 13, 2010

Anyone have luck with sawtooth oaks? I am going to plant a varriety of oaks this winter.I have heard good and bad lets hear what you have to say.I am planting on some land I just bought.It has been kept clean for about 4 years after clearcuting and needs to be planted.I am planting as much as 20 acers and will do this just for hunting.I have heard sawtooth need 25 ft by 25 ft spaceing......... I am interested on your input on sawtooth. THANKS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
backyardgrown(7b-8 NW MS)

I have several in my yard that are about 15 years old. They drop a lot of large acorns, which deer and squirrels love. The caps are large and interesting if you like crafty stuff. The acorns sprout easily, so unless you want seedlings popping up every where, be prepared to rake the acorns up, pull the seedlings, or mow them down. Otherwise you will have a sawtooth thicket on your hands.

As for the trees themselves, they don't get AS big as other oaks, but I like them. They are pretty common here because they are so easy to grow. If only other oak trees were as easy to grow!

Good luck!

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 10:51AM
clanross(7b Virginia)

We planted seedlings that were given away on Arbor Day. They have grown very quickly--especially where they've gotten plenty of water. Husband and I both very impressed with how large they've grown. They are over our heads in only 3-4 years.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 11:47PM
gardenall(8)

I just planted 2 1/5 acres of sawtooth that I planted on 25 by 25 spaceing. I will keep this area cut and clean of unwanted growth so the sawtooth will reach full potential.The heavy acorn production and fast growth is the reason it is became so popular for a wildlife planting. I also just planted about 12 acres of other oaks as well.It will be fun to see how they all grow.

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 9:10PM
taffyj(8b LA)

Beware, sawtooth oak can be invasive, outcompeting native oaks and other native plants.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 3:35PM
gardenall(8)

I have heard they can be invasive, but I planted them in an area that will be bushhogged and kept clean as needed.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
When to prune live oak
Hi everyone. I need to prune a live oak to clear the...
jon2412
Avocats fiscalistes Canada
Deux ans plus tard, votre client vous appelle. Il est...
MichelCoderre1
Mirliton
Anybody see any Mirliton seedlings in the New Orleans,...
alblancher
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™