Will seeds grow in only indirect sunlight?

jasminehearted(8)January 8, 2013

Hello all,

I have a tray full of seedlings of various types (some tomatos, lisianthus, peppers, begonias, etc). They are in seed starter and I just misted the soil (I planted the seeds today). They also have a humidity cover. The problem is I don't have a single window in my condominium that gets any direct sunlight. I am able to get some ok ambient/indirect light.

I can't really afford grow lights, and there isn't space for them anyway. What should I do to make sure my seeds germinate. Can I buy daylight bulbs from the home depot that will get the proper red and blue wavelengths? What would be my best option?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasminehearted(8)

I should clarify, I'm sure there are plenty of posts about what bulbs I can buy on this site. I guess what I'm really asking is if the seeds are better in the indirect light of if it won't be strong enough and I need to buy some lamps and bulbs.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 4:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arkipelago

Indirect sunlight will produce leggy seedlings for sure. Your best bet is to buy a 2 or 4ft two bulb "Shoplight" their not that expensive, and keep them as close to the seedlings as possible. For bulbs I have the best results with the "daylight" type of cool whites (More lumes the better). The warm whites (red) are more for the flowering stage.

This post was edited by arkipelago on Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 21:54

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Dwarf Papaya growing and blooming under grow lights
Here are a couple pics of dwarf papaya plants that...
arctictropical
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™