Winter Grass

geno_b(8)October 18, 2006

I have some bare ground in my back yard and would like to plant a winter grass to minimize erosion. Any suggestions on what type of grass (certain type of fescue, rye grass, etc) to plant in central MS?

I would like something that is low maintenance, slow growing, annual (does not comeback) and something that does not grow tall.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenn9643(z8 MS)

The only winter grass that I've seen planted in our area is annual ryegrass. Thickness/density of the grass cover will be dependent on how much seed you put down. It will help to minimize erosion, and you might want to consider mixing some centipede or other grass seeds with it to help hold the soil after the rye dies out. You will have to control the height by mowing; sorry, I don't know of an annual that is low-growing and low maintenance.

Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 7:49AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

If you want to minimize mowing needs overseed with perennial rye instead of annual. It's more expensive, but it's slower growing and holds up better in heavy rains.

And thanks for the reminder! I need to pick up some next week for the front yard.

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 10:13PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

...and they say the perennial rye won't survive the heat, so you don't have to worry about getting rid of it later. I've heard several experts recommend it.

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
Weed Control New Lawn
Hello! I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the...
BrittWave1
Northeast Mississippi Gardeners
Anyone here from Booneville/Tupelo area ? Jenkins
Jenkins
ID'ing Lawn weeds
Wasn't sure if this were better posted in Louisiana/Missisppi...
gooup
Do your snaps bloom in winter?
Hi, folks. It's pansy planting time here, and as I...
donnabaskets
South Louisiana Blueberries
Anyone growing blueberries in the ground in South Louisiana?...
pharmachad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™