Help with Iris ID, questions for weak stems and seed pods

Sherry99June 28, 2011

Hi all,

I am a newbie to gardening and this is our first year in this house. We have this beautiful iris in the backyard, but I couldn't find its exact ID.

Two other questions I have are: 1) what should I do now when most of the iris stems are falling over (pic3)?

2) Should I do anything with the seed pods (pic4)?

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!

Sherry From Untitled Album From Untitled Album From Untitled Album From Untitled Album

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

Iris sibirica "Caesars Brother"

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 8:54PM
Sherry99

Thanks a lot, aquawise!

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 10:06PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

A wonderful plant! You can cut off the seed pods.
Renee

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 11:17PM
sierra_z2b

I have a few siberian iris as well. I just cut the stems when they finish flowering. In the fall I cut the clumps back to 4 to 6 inches.

Sierra

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 8:41AM
Sherry99

Thank you, Renee and Sierra!

If I leave the seed pods on, will they just drop to the ground and probably generate new ones next year?

For cutting the stems, how much should I cut back now in the summer? Do I cut again to 4 to 6 inches in the fall?

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 9:10PM
sierra_z2b

I cut the stems as low down in the folliage as I can. It is the leaves that I cut down to 4 to 6 inches in late fall.

The seeds will fall to the ground, but no quarantee they will germinate. If they do germinate, the new plants may or may not look like the parent plant. Not sure how long it takes to get flowers on siberian iris from seed, but it could take a few years.

Sierra

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 11:22AM
Sherry99

Thanks again, Sierra!

I do have a few smaller siberian iris plants near this big group. I don't know whether they came from the seeds, though.

Probably I should have said weak "leaves" instead of stems in my original post. Should I do anything to the leaves that fell down? Will they invite pests and diseases?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 11:42PM
sierra_z2b

Hi Sherry. The leaves on your plants look normal. Just leave them till late fall...then cut.

Siberian iris spread vegetatively.This means it sends out new plants from the main plant. Your clumps will eventually form a circle with nothing in the middle. You can prevent this by dividing your plants regularly....about every 3 years.

To divide cut through the middle of the plant with a shovel and just leave half the plant in that area. You can plant the other piece somewhere else or give it to friends.....or add it to the compost bin.

Not much can go wrong with siberians. They are pretty carefree plants as far as garden plants go.

Sierra

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 12:08PM
Sherry99

Thank you, Sierra, for sharing your experience! My clumps do have some empty space in the middle. Probably it's time to divide!

Thanks again!

Sherry

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™