winter flowers

Kixxor(9)November 7, 2004

Can someone give me ideas of what flowering plants to plant in South Louisiana that will bloom during the winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa455(z9 LA)

Camellia sasanquas start around Mid-October and I believe some bloom as late as December (there are early mid and late blooming varieties) The leaves are smaller and they tolerate more sun than the japonicas. They are followed by the larger leaved camellia japonicas. I have both. I have also had success with forsynthia (it is not recommended for the coastal south or lower than zone 8). Mine is five years old and is in moist shade. Every January the entire bush is covered with yellow flowers before the leaves come out. I believe Lorapetalem bloom intermittently all year, but I am not certain since I have had mine for a short time, but with the burgundy foliage you almost don't need the flowers.

Bookmark   November 7, 2004 at 6:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_oak_lady(Zone 9)

If you are interested in seasonal flowers, either in the ground or in big pots, I grow pansies, violas, winter bulbs,
snapdragons, petunias, sweet alyssum, sweet peas (to be planted now), poppies (seeds to be planted now) and irises (Louisiana irises that bloom in March.) There are azaleas that bloom in winter and early spring and for a tree, Japanese magnolia.

Bookmark   November 8, 2004 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
Looking for Gardeners in the NE
Looking for gardeners that live in Northeast Louisiana,...
sebastian
Jacaranda Mimosifolia
Anyone in south Louisiana growing this tree in the...
lac1361
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™