Iris Multiplying But Not Blooming

val1(z4 UT)June 4, 2009

I have a tall bearded iris that I purchased in a container last year when it was blooming (two fans). This year it is expanding (4 fans) but not blooming. Could I have planted it too deep? How deep do you plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Rhizome tops may be exposed. Possibly the 2 new fans will produce bloom next year. Low nitrogen fertilizer only.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 1:47AM
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

That's strange. I have several that did not bloom this year as they have always done in the past. My husband dumped potting soil when cleaning out containers last Fall - on top of the Iris beds!!! I emailed Schreiners (where I got them) and Annette said if the rhizome tops are NOT exposed, they will not bloom - they are planted too deep to bloom. The ones that are blooming in another garden have their rhiz tops exposed. Now I'm confused.

Westy

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 2:24AM
aliska12000(Z5)

Be patient. One of my common ones I got at a plant sale multiplied like crazy, I tend to plant too deep, but finally year 3 they put on quite a show. I thought I had a dud and wasn't about to uncover the rhizomes.

The odd thing is that when they multiply the natural way, no rhizomes show, and they bloom when they are ready. Maybe exposing a little of the rhizome causes them to bloom more quickly.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 1:00PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Sorry. I could have said 'Rhizomes tops should be exposed'.

Then there will be someone who strongly disagrees.

So I chose the 'may'.

Also when you have a plant, iris or bulbs, in a container, it is going to have a period of adjustment when transferred. The same goes for iris that are moved and/or divided. Doesn't mean you've done something wrong. The adjustment period will vary. If the plant looks healthy (and you're not overdosing with wrong fertilizer :-)) trust Mother Nature to do the rest.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™