new orleans tropicals

marybright(7)December 9, 2012

I'm visiting a friend in New Orleans in January and would like to take her a rhizomatous begonia. Do you know of a good greenhouse or plant shop in the city?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hmmm, I came here to ask the same question. We're going there again at the end of March. This time I'll be there on a weekday and REALLY want to plant-shop! Have you found anything, or has your trip come and gone already?

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 2:50PM

Looks like it's a secret nobody wants to share... I've found a few places virtually. Not sure visiting all of them will be possible.

Sunken Gardens
Banting's
the Plant Gallery
Urban Roots
Harold's

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 11:50AM

Well Harold's is amazing, very close to downtown/French quarter. I didn't have time to visit the other stores, but anyone looking for plants in NOLA would do well to try Harold's. I didn't even see all of the displays. Once I had loaded my cart to budget capacity, we left, other stops on the agenda...

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 11:56AM
irishchannelgirl

Bantings, urban roots and Harold's are all super amazing.
Bantings is great if you want something like old tea roses, local citrus trees and/or now these fabulous olive trees that are almost bonsai like..urban roots is close, local and has a good selection and beautiful terrariums and it's own chicken shed, bunny hutch and turtles...Harold's is a bit further away for me but good when I want to wander and hunt and peck :) great orchid selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Probably the best bet for tropicals and local plants

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 3:35PM

Sounds like you must have an awesome collection of plants, Irish! Do you have a balcony?

Through much debate and soul-searching, we decided to skip NOLA this year. It would have been an easier decision if also not getting to visit one or more of these awesome stores was not a factor. Almost tipped the scale the other way!

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Night blooming jasmine TREE
not a vine but tree. does anyone have any information...
energy_rater_la
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Ligularia
I live in North Louisiana (zone 8a). I would like to...
savannaht
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™