metal halide for seedlings.

Devon7234January 17, 2013

I'm building a grow room for trials on fertilizer. I posted in the experimental forum but it doesn't look like that place gets much traffic.

I have a 5x5 area with 18 individual 72 cell flats. Each flat has an independent heating mat. My light source is a 1000 watt metal halide with a digital ballast. I'm getting conflicting information regarding how well the seeds will sprout and grow for the first few weeks of life. If I back the MH up enough I won't need to worry about scorching the plants. However, will they be getting enough light? I've combed through about a dozen academic journals today on horticulture but have made little success as far as light is concerned. Would it make sense to just drop $500 and outfit my table with some T-5s?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GarlicFiend

I germinate seedlings with 400W MH lights and have no problems scorching the little guys. I have powerful fans to help move the heat right under the light and I use a small infrared laser heat measuring gun ($10 from Harbor Freight) to monitor the actual temperature at seedling level.

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 11:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
overdrive

or just drop 250$ and outfit with T8

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 4:47AM
More Discussions
How to translate lux reading from phone app into lumens/ft2
I took a reading from where one of my succulents was...
Bama_Joe
Will these grow anything?
For a school project we decided to do an experiment...
MrBlubs
6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial Grade
The 6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial...
Dane Theisen
Energy efficient grow lighting
We are probably going to buying a nice heavy duty heated...
oldbat2be
Need help Drip watering Basil inside
So i have a little closet grow room setup with lights,...
Riskebiz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™