Need advice - grow light for wintering plants

tulleyJanuary 31, 2010

Hello all!

I had a friend send me a plumeria cutting, and a white ginger root. I planted them, but sadly I have NO good light in my home. I need some help for the winter months when they have to live inside.

Could any of you suggest a grow light I can buy? Nothing huge . . maybe just a little one that clips on the side of the pot? How many hours a day does it need to be on?

Thank you all SO MUCH for your expertise and help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donaldb(5B Worcester, MA)

Greetings. You need but to Google GROW LIGHTS and you will find a wealth of information that will help you.

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 8:57AM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

Maybe this can be more helpful, Tulley: read through this forum - I am new to all this as well, and have scoured this forum for useful tips. I am going to install ordinary shoplights to add some light during the winter months. I am also considering compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL's) that you can pop into a regular lamp fixture and use it as a spot for a single plant or two. There are many very technical threads here, but also many simple and straightforward ones - just take some time to read through - I am glad I did!
Anna

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful ideas here re. lighting inside

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 12:34PM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

Check this thread as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing under lights

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 1:33PM
tulley

-- "Greetings. You need but to Google GROW LIGHTS and you will find a wealth of information that will help you."

To Google something, is of course my first step with anything. I however, found the information a bit overwhelming, and why I came here to ask the experts.

And Anna, thank you SO much for the direct link. I have gone through these forums but . . it seems like all the lights discussed are the big, what I call 'shop lights'. I don't have any room what-so-ever for such a rig. I just wanted a little light I can clip on the side of a pot.

I did find these 'grow lights', called 'Agrosun Dayspot Incandescent 150W Bulb'. From what I'm gathering, I can use them to help over-winter my two little plants.

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 11:41PM
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

You're welcome! And the Agrosun is an option, although I've not seen it discussed much here, which makes me wonder. But, the CFL version is mentioned often, and it can provide the kind of "spotlight" you need as those bulbs can be used in any lamp fixture.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™