Plant beans where peas were?

julieann_growMarch 15, 2009

I just cut down my peas (sugar snap peas) and planned to plant pole beans on the same trellis. However, the peas looked like they had some disease starting...yellow/brown leaves on the bottom.

Would the beans be susceptible to the same "disease"?

Also, should I apply a soil inoculant for the beans or is the soil good since the peas were there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cabrita(9b SoCal)

I plan to do exactly what you describe but it is too early for me to plant pole beans of the P vulgaris type. However, we did plant peas right on top of the fall pole beans and that worked great (I posted a couple pictures on the other pea thread, but those are in zone 10). Both the beans and peas were healthy though. Now, are you sure you have a 'disease' or is it just the natural life cycle of the peas? which zone 9 are you in? they do not like heat at all, have you had a bit of a hot spell? then browning leaves would be normal, no disease to worry about. Maybe someone else has experience in our zones and can give us advice. I have cool springs and hellishly hot autumns (usually) so I'll be planting beans later.

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 2:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julieann_grow

I'm in S. Louisiana and thought about the fact that they may just be at the end of their life. I planted them in Nov and we had some heat in the last 2 weeks.

But, I guess my real question is "do the same diseases that affect peas affect pole beans"? Because if they do, then rotating would be better than planting in the same spot.

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™