Green tomatoes

andys_garden(20854)January 30, 2005

Probably an easy question for the forum but here goes:

My tomato plants have beautiful green tomatoes-- the problem is they have been green for over a month! I am using conventional fluoescent lights with a 12 hr on/off cycle. Is the use of conventional fluorescent lights the problem? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I believe that fruit ripening is heavily influenced by the carotenoids. These are most responsive to blue light, around 450nm-550nm. Your fluorescents may be giving you too much red and not enough blue. Try looking for a higher kelvin rating, such as a 6500K or "daylight" bulb.

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 7:11AM
cbars(z5b6a MO-Kansas City)

Ambient temperature is also important. Ripening occurs best if temps are 75+ in the room. If the area is 50-60, ripening will be very slow.

Gary

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 11:19AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Tomatoes can be made to ripen by putting them in a paper bag with an apple. Alternatively, pack them in newspaper in boxes with a few apples. Apples emit a gas that ripens fruit, including tomatoes. We have to do that in this country because very few tomatoes ripen on plants grown outdoors.

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 12:58PM
jwmeyer(Z8 OR)

Sounds like the problem is your light source. Fluoescent light is ok for seedlings and vegin' but to produce nice big fruit indoors you need an HID and a good reflector. Check the Philips ceramic metal halide,(CRI 85) or the hortilux Blue (CRI 92). Both are white light that are excellent for both stages of growth. These bulbs produce better blues and reds than combining a HPS and a MH....Both are realitively new on the market in the higher wattages, and the things you can frow under them is amazing....Hope this helps.

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
Bell peppers
My flowers fall off before fruit developes. Any suggestions?...
AliMatt
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™