Slippery Slopes?

vgkg(Z-7)February 4, 2013

I've seen this "excuse" offered time and time again when someone suggests a new law or regulation. I'd really like to see some examples of this. If the Clean Air Act led to the Clean Water Act would that count? (probably not an accurate example but you smart folks know what I mean). Give me a good one that makes slippery slope sense.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vgkg(Z-7)

Just to get you motivated here's an illustration below. The guys on the second sled are members of a SWAT Team.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 3:47PM
huachuma

In general I don't believe in the slippery slope argument. I can't and won't say that it never happens, but in my opinion it's about as valid as the old domino theory that was applied to Vietnam.

I'm sure some would maintain that the only reason that the domino theory didn't pan-out as advertised was due to the U.S.'s extraordinary effective policies in Vietnam...

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 7:01PM
Pidge

Love your irony, huachuma.
Wish I had an example as good as yours, vgkg.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 7:19PM
vgkg(Z-7)

Wish I had a better example Pidge, huachuma is right it's difficult and I really can't think of one either. Good questions die young ;)

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 7:49PM
jodik_gw

Slippery slopes happen when clear boundaries are not set... for example, "Personhood" laws. Even though the Supreme Court determined that a woman's right to privacy under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment extended to the decision to have an abortion, that right must be balanced against the state's two legitimate interests in regulating abortions: protecting prenatal life and protecting women's health.

The slippery slope enters the picture when we talk about what constitutes "viability" of the fetus. The Roe decision defined "viable" as being "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid", adding that viability "is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks... but there are various views on this issue from religious and moral standpoints. In this case, viability is the slippery slope, I believe.

It's always the illogical debates that garner attention, while the good questions slide down the page... on a slippery slope...

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 11:08AM
vgkg(Z-7)

Yes jodik, I believe it was Kate that brought up similar thoughts on her related SS thread too. After thinking some more on what might constitute a SS perhaps War policy is another good example. Somehow over time we've dropped the requirement of Congress to put it's @ss on the line and actually declare a war. They opted out and have made it too easy on themselves, slippery war powers act, patriot act, etc.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 4:52PM
Circus Peanut

War policy vis-a-vis Congress is s great example, vgkg.

I'd offer the Patriot Act's unprecedented citizen surveillance followed by the current administration's outright killing of citizens suspected of "working with terrorists".

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 5:00PM
Factotem

circuspeanut wrote,

I'd offer the Patriot Act's unprecedented citizen surveillance followed by the current administration's outright killing of citizens suspected of "working with terrorists".

FISA, national security letters, telecom carrier immunity, rendition...

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 5:05PM
jodik_gw

Another law with a slippery slope might be the "stand your ground" laws...

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
Dang Groundhog !!!!
Ugh, high winds here overnite had knocked out power...
vgkg
Swallow This
More another slam than a hot topic! "An Idaho...
labrea_gw
Does "Bibi" really desire to communicate ..
...or merely play to the gallery? Communicating implies...
ronalawn82
Foot - in - mouth disorder?
I do not believe, and I know this is a horrible thing...
ronalawn82
Oklahoma crude
"Judges or court clerks who issue marriage licenses...
labrea_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™