Help with my setup please.

luvncanninJanuary 29, 2013

Hi I am totally new to growing under lights and would appreciate some input about my setup. I have been studying about how to do this and I am pretty handy with diy projects so here is what I have so far.
I have 2 shop lights and a table 30x50. I attached hooks and chains under the the table and can adjust the light fixtures as the plants grow. I am going to wrap the lower part of the table with heavy duty commercial alum. foil, because that is what I have, keeping one end open for circulation. The top of the table same light setup suspended from the ceiling but maybe no foil.
Do I need two 48" setups per shelf or can I get by with one?
Do you keep a small fan on them all the time or just occassionally?
Do I need the foil on the top shelf?
Oh and I am growing different vegetables and herbs to plant out side and maybe keep some herbs in the house too.
Thank you all
Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael.Masztal

Are your shop lights 2 or 4 bulb? Fluorescent lights can do well with herbs and greens, but for fruiting vegetables, you really need some more intense light. WIth the rig you�re planning the reflective foil will increase the available light. THe more the better. I use a 4 bulb 48" T8 fixture over my raft system. I can adjust the height of the fixture with chains. It works well with the lettuce and cilantro I am growing. A fan is necessary as when the plant is under light since it is transpiring. Circulating air enhances transpiration and consequently increases nutrient uptake. I turn my fans off when the lights are off as the stomata close an no transpiration occurs. For veggies, consider picking up metal halide, high pressure sodium or LED (which I use for tomatoes and peppers and love). Hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 10:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvncannin

Michael
thank you the info! I have 2 bulb lights. I was hoping I could get by with 1 set per shelf at least till payday when I could buy a few more. I want to get as much planted indoors so I do not have to spend so much on plants this year.
Wondered if I could move the lights side to side every 12 hours 1 set over each shelf or do they have to have 16 hours of light?

Kim

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Energy efficient grow lighting
We are probably going to buying a nice heavy duty heated...
oldbat2be
6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial Grade
The 6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial...
Dane Theisen
Lamp says "MAX 20W". Can I go higher with CFL or LED?
My lamp says that I should not put a light bulb in...
dxniel
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
What are the Consequences of Leaving Lights on 24/7
My seedlings are just shy of 3 weeks old. Almost all...
kandm
Sponsored Products
Medallion Garden Runner 2'6" x 12'
$899.00 | Horchow
Calhoun Leather Ottoman - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Sky Blue Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Sage Lavish Home Series Sheet Set
$19.99 | zulily
Stacy Oushak Rug 9'3" x 12'3" - BEIGE / BLACK
$6,000.00 | Horchow