stolen irises

traceycJune 17, 2008

Hello all

I'm a newbie iris grower in Victoria, Australia. Last year an old guesthouse nearby was being demolished and it's gardens bulldozed flat. So I couldn't help myself and snuck out over several winter mornings and dug up everything I could - bulbs especially and clumps of bearded iris. I extended some of my garden beds and added them all in. The bulbs all bloomed but not the iris. Then I read that they wouldn't likely bloom the first year after division anyway.

Now its the first couple of weeks of winter and they are all blooming! They are a deep purple with white beard..very lovely. I'm thrilled they are blooming but surprised as it seems very early. I haven't seen iris blooming in other gardens nearby at this time. Could any of you experts tell me if this is normal or not and what I can expect in Spring/Summer. Will they bloom again? Should I cut them back at any time? Sorry for my ignorance but appreciate your replies!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

There is a common purple that blooms off season here also.

I would cut off dead foliage but not healthy --- it is feeding the rhizomes.

Sounds like you're hooked on iris :-)

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 4:44PM
sylviatexas1

There's a historic iris called Crimson King, a deep purple intermediate with a white beard, that blooms for me very early in spring & then again in late May or early June.

I guess it might bloom very late if it had been disturbed/transplanted & had missed or skipped its regular bloom time.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 4:46PM
traceyc

Thanks both for your replies. Yes irisgal, I'm getting completely hooked and am already eyeing my paddock for the possibility of new iris beds!!

sylvia you are spot on - my stolen irises are indeed Crimson King. I've read up on them and it seems they often bloom at strange times so the first weeks of winter may not be all that uncommon for them, especially given the season seems completely out of kilter so far. I have jonquils flowering already (Spring is supposed to start September - ie two and a half months away!), roses blooming and various other things happening that make me think somehow the garden has been forced into a false early spring.

I'll be interested to see if I get a second bloom on Crimson King..and when!

Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Kopen Wellbutrin zonder recept. Wellbutrin online bestellen goedkope
Klik op Hier Aan Wellbutrin Bestellen Wellbutrin is...
degma
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™