Iris ID's, please.

wbonesteel(7)June 21, 2013

I'm not familiar with the different varieties, but I have a few of these tall bearded white irises growing in my garden, and more than a few of these lavender colored tall bearded irises, as well.

Edit: These were given to me last fall. I think the one on the right is plum pretty whiskers, but I'm not sure.

This post was edited by wbonesteel on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 21:24

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Was the wind blowing when you took the picture? It's too hard to tell the shapes and colors.

If you do a search on 'plum pretty whiskers' you'll see it has lots of veining in the falls banded by a large rim of light lavender.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 6:23PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I grow Plum Pretty Whiskers, and it is not like your iris. Here's a pic. Yours is a historic. You might want to check the HIPS site.

Here is a link that might be useful: HIPS

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:06PM
illinoisdoglover(z5IL)

That Plum Pretty Whiskers is absolutely beautiful. Must add that to my want list. Nice picture.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:32PM
njiris(z 5 NJ)

HArd to ID your white. Hard for the purple too since the wind is blowing it, but it may be Lent A. Williamson. Check the HIPS website for a good picture.
Lent is a very old iris, one of EB Williamson's first and finest introductions in 1918. It is very hardy and well loved, can be found in many old gardens today. If you have Lent you have a real old classic there.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 1:07PM
wbonesteel(7)

Yeah, the wind is almost always blowing, here. The irises came out of a bed that I know for certain is at least forty years old and probably much older than that.

That first pic of the white iris is about the best I could get w/o setting up a windbreak. Which didn't even occur to me, at the time. I plan to use them in conjunction with some white double hollyhocks and white glads in order to make a bit of a 'statement' in the front flower gardens. They'll be surrounded and/or framed with some color.

Thanks for your help folks! I do appreciate it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Heirloom Iris
I am the Steward of a historic garden on the grounds...
benton1873
daves10z7annv
Iris rhizome buying experience and feedback.
I would like to relate an iris rhizome buying experience...
kathemm
1st Dutch iris open (bulb)
I love bearded iris. But I'm also a sucker for bulb...
irisgal_z9
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™