Grow lights and cats?

copioussilverbirch(6)January 25, 2006

Ok I have a question- I am quite new here at GW especially here. I have a cat and I am unsure how safe it is to have a grow light in the basement where the can could get to it at any given time? Maybe I would be better off using the jugg method outside??

thanks

~Sarah~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
triple_b(BC 5b)

I have an inquisitive playful cat (read: Meathead). I am starting my seedlings that cannot be wintersown in two aquariums with a 48" flourescent light ballast sitting on top. Hoping this will be strong enough to hold the cat if he decides to lounge on top, which he undoubtably will, and not allow enough of a gap for him to play with the seedlings inside the tank. Someone in the 'using an aquarium' thread has a good picture of their set-up. It cleared up a few of my questions and grey areas for my own.

Bookmark   January 26, 2006 at 1:51AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

A fluorescent grow light is as safe as any other household lighting. Are you actually worried about the light? Or about the cat breaking something fragile? The cat can lounge safely in the light and will almost certainly want to lounge on any surface that the light warms. Make it strong enough.

Bookmark   January 26, 2006 at 12:29PM
zink(6a)

Sarah,

Exactly what kind of bulb and fixture are you worried about? I have 7 cats running around all kinds of lights at different times. I can guarantee you that they could care less about the lamp. They more likely WILL involve themselves with your plants, however. Cats indoors tend to chew on leaves, and lounge around in bright light.

Zink

Bookmark   January 26, 2006 at 8:20PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

Mine were both sunning themselves by my floursecent light set-up yesterday.

Bookmark   January 27, 2006 at 2:48PM
jwmeyer(Z8 OR)

I agree w/ the above comments....My concern w/ having my cats or dog in my grow area is w/ pests that they may bring in...So, no animals allowed!

Bookmark   January 27, 2006 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
Grow Lights vs Outdoor Greenhouse for indoor seeds
Good afternoon, I am starting a lot of seeds indoors...
Kim Phelan
Energy efficient grow lighting
We are probably going to buying a nice heavy duty heated...
oldbat2be
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™