Phillips 400w HID bulb

mshaffer(z7 Fairfax,VA)January 4, 2006

Just bought this on ebay, strange bulb, I haven't seen any other metal halides like it except the Master Colors. The box says made in 1995. I'm glad I found it though since I don't have a reflector, should be easy to setup. Was only $15.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zink(6a)

mshaffer,

That is an interesting bulb. It ought to work great as a growlight because the bulb has it's own reflector which directs the light - 120,000 initial lumens - as the Philips literature says.

Download philips_2003a.pdf from www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/appliance_standards/ commercial/pdfs/hid_lamps/philips_2003a.pdf for information on the lamp.

The lamp is a MH400/RSP which is a 400w Protected Metal Halide lamp that does NOT require an enclosed fixture, or a reflector since it is already has one internally. This allows it to direct a LOT of light in one direction, hence the high lumen rating, I suppose. It does require a standard 400w MH ballast.

Zink

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 11:02AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Fascinating. I've seen the design before, but never more than 175W. Regular price for this is nearly $80.

The 120,000 number in the specs is actually candle-power, indicating the high directed light intensity. MBCP stands for maximum beam candle power. Initial lumens are comparable to regular 400W metal halides (30-odd thousand lumens), even a little lower, but you don't have to worry about reflector losses.

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 2:47PM
npthaskell(coastal oregon)

There is a small "typo" in Zink's link that gave me a little trouble; I reposted a fixed version.

I assume that the lamp is on the 10th page of the pdf document (ie., page 91 of the original version).

Here is a link that might be useful: philips_2003a.pdf

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 4:39PM
jwmeyer(Z8 OR)

Yes, interesting bulb...

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 6:46PM
mshaffer(z7 Fairfax,VA)

Got it setup, pretty bright.. just hope it doesn't burn the leaves. I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
Yellow petunias
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong with my petunia...
birkjar
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
How to translate lux reading from phone app into lumens/ft2
I took a reading from where one of my succulents was...
Bama_Joe
What are the Consequences of Leaving Lights on 24/7
My seedlings are just shy of 3 weeks old. Almost all...
kandm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™