walking iris

chloecleome(z6ny)June 6, 2008

My son gave me a small walking iris for Mothers Day. Can I put it outside for the summer? What kind of exsposure does it need and should I leave it in the pot? I do know it wants to be crowded in the pot will it be happier in the ground?.

Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chazparas(USDA zone 9 , San Jose, CA)

Walking Iris, Neomarica or trimezia, are not hardy in your zone, don't plant it in the ground. I grow mine indoors in a brightly lit spot with no direct light and it flowers every spring. If you put it oustside it should go into a shady spot, mine have never done well in the sun, they kind of bleach out the leaves. Bright shade if that makes sense will give a nice deep green color to the leaves. Also go very light with any fertilizer, I fertilize once or twice after flowering and that's it.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 8:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sianna(z6 PA)

I was also gifted with a walking iris and it did well in a bright room all winter,no direct sun. I just moved it outside and it did get bleached leaves that I just trimmed. Now it is in the shade with 2 buds I can't wait to see it bloom. Mine is in a small pot do they like to be pot bound or should I move it after it blooms?Thanks

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™