Millipedes ate my peas!

tcstoehrMarch 29, 2011

Two years ago I grew the best sugar snap peas. The next year, millipedes ate them all before sprouting. This year the same thing. Virtually every pea was being attacked by hordes of tiny millipedes, tunneling right into the pea and consuming the root too. In desperation I dug up the rows and pushed the doomed peas off to the side. I then refilled the resulting furrow with potting soil and replanted. I reasoned that the potting soil would be free of pests. In retrospect I realize that was likely silly. In any case, the replanting has worked quite well and I have a solid stand of peas. I figure the first planting attracted the bulk of the millipedes present, and they were content to continue eating the old peas pushed off to the side. That left the new planting free of millipedes. So I'm thinking next year I might just make a sacrificial planting off to the side a couple weeks before the real planting. That will distract the little buggers long enough for the real planting to take hold.

Don't let anybody tell you that millipedes only eat dead organic matter, They definitely prey on germinating peas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lolear(5b - Chicago)

I had the same thing happen last year with soy and slugs. Darn slugs ate the seeds before they could germinate. This year I am going to pretreat with sluggo. I think it works on millipedes, too.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 9:23PM
tcstoehr

Argh! Now the birds are tearing the seedlings out of the ground to eat the peas. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 2:43PM
happyday(WI4a)

Lay some quarter inch mesh or chicken wire over the peas, not flat on the ground but hooped up a couple inches so they can't get their heads and beaks in far enough. Let the peas grow up through the mesh.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™