ceiling lights work?

vivid-dawn(5)January 25, 2013

I would like to keep a small indoor vegetable garden going through winter months. I live in the basement of my dad's house. The room I would like to grow plants in only has a small window (maybe 2 square feet). There are fluorescent lights in the ceiling that light up the room pretty well. I wonder if I got the right spectrum, could I grow potted veggies in my room? The other room does have a patio door which lets in lots of light, but it's also very drafty and never gets above 60F in the winter, which I don't think would be good for the plants (unless I got a heat mat, I guess). My room is a good 70F, as I'm a wimp with cold ;)

I've been looking at tiered light shelves, but they're kind of expensive...the cheapest is about $300 and I would want several.

http://www.gardeners.com/T-5-Light-Garden-3Tier/39-357,default,pd.html

Even if I did a DIY kind, I'd still have to buy bulbs...I'd rather just buy the ceiling bulbs for the whole room and not mess with constructing stuff. I have plenty of shelves now such as bookshelves, desks, cabinets, etc...I figure if I just turn/rotate the plants on a regular basis, they could get enough light.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael.Masztal

The ceiling lights would not work too well as plants need to be very close to fluorescent lights (within 3-4 inches) to benefit, so some T5 would be in order. For lettuces, a less expensive 4 tube T8 from W-M or Home Depot work well using the 6500K daylight bulbs. A raft or DWC are the easiest to manage.

The other room that gets sun is a potential grow spot as some veggies/herbs (lettuce/ cilantro) like cooler temps but you may need to use an aquarium water heater to warm up the water a bit ~70-75 deg F.

You can easily design/ build some light stands for cheap (under $20) using PVC pipe.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 7:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vivid-dawn(5)

So basically it's a "no". Hrmm.
Guess I gotta go read more posts and do research on how to build me some shelves after all!

Also, the water being heated. Is that water they sit in, or what I use to do daily watering? If it's just daily watering, I don't need an aquarium heater, just turn on 'hot' handle on tap water would work..?

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
HELP!..Possible Indoor Pepper growing probz!
I have a few questions regarding my pepper plants at...
Bobby Cooper
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
Dwarf Papaya growing and blooming under grow lights
Here are a couple pics of dwarf papaya plants that...
arctictropical
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™