Innoculant applied on top?

julieann_growMarch 7, 2007

I waited too late to order some bean innoculant and have already put my seeds in the ground with their cute little

leafy heads now sticking up. I got the innoculant...should I just sprinkle some on top of the beans and around the ground anyway?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

Whether of not enough innoculent would get down to the roots is uncertain. I'm guessing not much.

I think you can save the innoculent for next year by placing it in an airtight container (ziplock bag) and storing it in the fridge.

Jim

Bookmark   March 9, 2007 at 3:28PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

For what it's worth, and I have less experience than Jim, my advice would be the opposite. I talked with a fellow at Johnny's Seeds today who said that though it's better to coat the seeds before planting, watering in the inoculant (i.e. dissolve in water and water the plants) would get the bacteria down to their roots, where it needs to be. He also said that inoculant, being living organisms, won't be good next season and should be stored in a cool place (less than 70° F) but not sealed tight, as the bacteria need air.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 7:49PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Looks like I guessed wrong on both questions. I would take the advice of the guy from Johnny's.

Jim

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 7:55PM
julieann_grow

I guessed right then. I put the inoculant in water and watered the beans. I usually do it before planting, but didn't this year. We'll see...so far they are popping right up.

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 9:08AM
ourhappyhome(7B)

I'm in a similar situation and would really appreciate an update. Did the innoculant improve production when applied on top? Thanks

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 9:29AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

More to the point, does the use of inoculant (via _any_ means of application) produce a visible or measurable improvement? If beans do well after inoculant, would they have done just as well without it? Without some experimentation, we can never be sure one way or the other. Those of us here on GW represent a wealth of gardening knowledge & experience, and we really should resolve this question. The benefits of legume inoculants have been discussed several times, particularly in the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granulated bean inoculant

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 2:12PM
ourhappyhome(7B)

Thanks Zeedman. I did read that thread before posting. Sounds like most have been using inoculant in the garden already whereas I have not. I live in a new development which was wooded area before homes were built. I'm fairly sure there is no inoculant in the ground here. I've already planted beans w/o inoculant because I'm not convinced its needed but an answer to this question would really speed up my own garden research.

Bookmark   July 2, 2007 at 2:41PM
farmerboybill

Hi Juliann,

A little known fact about inoculant is it isn't needed every year. The bacteria stays in the soil. If you're on a 4 year rotation, the bacteria will still be there 4 years and 8 years from now when you plant again. This is a subject that comes up every now and again in my business with soybeans in field production.

The only real reason for inoculating is to get the stronger, more specific bacteria into a spot of ground the first year of production. The other three reasons are to keep the population up(a pretty shaky argument), because new stronger strains of bacteria are being developed constantly(I'm not sure how often they have a "breakthrough in bacteria technology!"), and it's pretty low-cost insurance.

Your beans will do fine, especially if you've grown beans in or near that location in the past..

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 9:46AM
t-bred(5)

Just my two-cents, didn't use innoculant last year but expanded my garden this year so I decided to try it. My crop was double last year in comparison. Who knows, maybe other variables in play? The stuff is not cheap and in my humble opinion not worthwhile.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™