Kentucky Life Earth Day Show with Bill Best and Beans

remy_gwApril 27, 2013

On the link, Bill Best and the beans story starts at 16:00. It is a great piece. I'm excited to have been filmed in this segment. His seed swap that I attend starts at 22:25 (my old white Buick is the car closest there, lol.) At 22:36 you can see me talking to swappers, and at 23:03 you can see a close up of my table with packets, beans, and tomatoes!
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Kentucky Life Earth Day Show

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Thanks Remy, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Annette

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 10:44AM
blueflint(z6a OH)

That was a great interview!

Bill's new book is also out, "Saving Seed, Preserving Taste". You can buy this book online or Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is selling this, catalog number 91177.

-Tony

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 9:02PM
macmex

Hey Tony!

I'm growing Cherokee Striped Cornhill, again this year. First year I grew it, it produced gangbusters, and it was outstanding. The next two years, it almost failed to produce enough seed to replace what I planted. My suspicion is that our EXTREME heat and drought affected it. So, I'm trying again; got it in early, and, this year, so far it looks like we're going to have a milder year.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 1:52PM
blueflint(z6a OH)

I hope the Cherokee Striped does better for you. It usually is an outstanding producer but...like most Appalachian beans (including Cherokee), they do not like extreme heat. Seems most Appalachian beans drop flowers with extreme heat, drought or hot nights. One summer I was having problems getting one bean to set, I then decided to shower it with a sprinkler head on a garden hose every day...in about 10 days, I had tons of pods setting.

Let me know how they do, it is usually a huge producer.

Tony

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 9:30PM
rxkeith(z5 MI)

i enjoyed the piece, thanks for sharing it remy.
bill seems like the kinda guy, i would like to spend time with. 600 varieties of beans he is growing, wow!
i was telling my wife tonight, that i might have to put up another bean fence. i can't grow everything i want to grow each year.
i just planted some carmack greasy, and pete ingram fall beans. i have a few other greasy beans i received over the winter. they may have to wait till next year. i am over two weeks behind planting out, due to prolonged cool weather. seed saving might be a challenge this year.
also planted some tennessee red eye fall bean or whatever you want to call them. seed supply needs to be replenished.

keith

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™