Designing a Trellis

obrionusa(5)April 13, 2009

I'm planning out my trellis for my pole beans. I'm going to make the frame out of 1/2" copper pipe. Either going to bend it or use copper fittings to finish off the arch. Going to close up the one end with fencing. The heighth will be 4-6" taller than me, Width about 30". I will be attaching 6"x6" 5' fencing. The finished product will be 30" wide 6' tall 5' long arch with one end fenced off. I will plant beans about 6" apart. How do you think this will work? I just replumbed my house, Thats the reason for the copper pipe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anney(Georgia 8)

For the life of me, I can't visualize this arch! Will it be squared off rather than curved from one side to the other side? (Like a rectangle with no bottom line?) Or will it look like an upside-down "U"? Will you have two of these arches spaced 5 feet apart or just one?

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 10:50AM
obrionusa(5)

It will look like an upside down "U" with only one way in and out. Frame made out of copper water pipe and 6" wire mesh. Im making it out of left over plumbing and concrete wire mesh I had laying around. I have a grinder to grind down the edges with. I'm now thinking of making it 5' wide. I just borrowed a rigid conduit bender to bend the copper pipe with. Am I making any sense out of this mess?

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 11:47AM
anney(Georgia 8)

Okay, I think I've got some of it now.

So, one upside down U with the legs five feet apart at the bottom. If you make it an upside down U, won't the curved top be at various heights but 6' only at the very top?

I still can't visualize what the 30" applies to (though I get 5 feet wide and 6 feet tall), but then everybody describes visual appearances differently. Maybe somebody else will visualize it perfectly and give you a great answer!

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 12:13PM
obrionusa(5)

After tinkering with it for 30 mins. I decided it was easier to go to Rural King and get a 5'x16' cattle fence and bend it like most others do. Should last my lifetime.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 2:13PM
chuck60

Local price for cattle panels is $22 around here in mid Missery, so you probably would have more money in the copper pipe!

Chuck

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 2:15PM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

My concern would be that the copper would get heated from the sun and perhaps cause burns to parts of your bean vines. Maybe in zone 6 your sun does not get so serious? this would be a bit of a worry in my zone, so I prefer to use wood and twine.

I will attempt to post (pea thread and IWK thread) a couple of pictures from trellises made from the recycled (free) materials I have. I realize not everybody has the plethora of tree branches we have....

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 3:52PM
purplemonster

I'm not sure what I'm doing this year but last year I put a 6' board with nails in it on the ground and took twine up to the fence boards and down to the nails, up and down and over and that's what my beans grew on...

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 2:23AM
More Discussions
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™