My grow light system scheme.... What do you think?

tommilakFebruary 24, 2009

Hi guys,

I just finished drawing my grow light system. There are 4 18W fluorescent tubes. This system is made for about 3 plants. I am planning to grow there cherry tomatoes. They won't grow very tall so I can use fluorescent tubes. These lights can also be lowered to get the light as near as possible to the plants. I would you some kind of ropes or chains to lower the lights. So what do you think of this system I also added two pictures.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kandm(8b coastal alabama)

Very nice set up.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 2:43AM
maryquitecontrary(BC,Canada)

Your system looks good however it is top heavy. you will have to widen your base to create stability or bolt it to the floor. Also it's not clear from your pic if you'll attach your lights from over top which I think would be better than attaching them to the sides when it comes to adjusting the height of your lights. You may also find it awkward having to lift your plants in and out of the white frame part to prune or generally tend to them.
Hope this is helpful

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 12:34PM
tommilak

Yes, I probably should widen the base, although right now it is standing just fine. I Would use chains on top of the hood to adjust the lights height.

I just finished building my grow light. I built the needed fixture and connected the wires. For light I am planning to use Philips Super 80 tubes. On the Philips Lighting webpage there is also give a datasheet, which contains wavelength diagram. Perhaps someone could give me some advice, what sort of tubes to use. In my opinion the 840 should be the best. Anyway the datasheet can be seen on this page: http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/architect/lamps_leds_gear_innovations/brochures/datasheets/fluo.php?main=gb_en&parent=gb_en&id=in_en_brochures&lang=en
From there choose MASTER TL-D Super 80

P.S. I shall soon also post some pictures of my grow system.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 1:30PM
tommilak

Hi.
I just finished building my grow light fixture. Here are also some pictures. I really must say that I am not a good builder :)
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. You my also tell me what you think of my system and what should I change.

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
How to translate lux reading from phone app into lumens/ft2
I took a reading from where one of my succulents was...
Bama_Joe
When to replace lights?
Hi, I have a 3-shelf cart with plant lights. I mostly...
frances_in_nj
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™