Can't seem to grow sweet peas

gardenper(8)April 10, 2014

Just wanted them for the blooms and also saving the seeds so that I don't have to keep buying them every year, but I can't seem to grow them. They should be a cool weather plant, but it seems like cool weather time in my area (Zone 8) allows them to germinate but then just stay about 4-6" tall until it suddenly gets warmer, and then they die off.

Is it because my zone doesn't have a good gradual increase into summer temperatures (ie, 4 seasons) and instead just kind of goes from winter temperatures to summer temperatures? (Granted this year we still have cool temps even in April but in previous years, we had something like this and then suddenly we're into our hot temps)

I tried them in late winter/early spring as well as fall with similar results. In the fall, my area also kind of has the same issue. Warm temps even up until Thanksgiving and sometimes into December and then the temps drop to 50s or 40s for a while.

This post was edited by gardenper on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 11:23

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

I know the feeling. I'm in 7b and by the time the soil is warm enough for them to germinate it gets too hot.

This year I sprouted them inside before I planted. They are looking good so far. I just hope the weather cooperates this year!

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 1:38PM
farmerdill

Are we talking about sweet peas (Lathyrus odoratus) or English peas (Pisum sativum)? Pisum sativum does well here in middle Georgia.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 4:08PM
gardenper(8)

Just realized I used the word "crop" when describing them, but I don't intend to use them as a crop. I changed it to "plant". I mean the sweet peas, which I guess would be Lathyrus odoratus.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 11:25AM
ralph31558(z8GA)

My peas are about 2 1/2ft tall and i havn't got any flowers on them.s this normal? I thought i will have had a lot of flowers by now.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 6:28PM
tripleione(6b)

Are you planting in containers or in the ground? What's the soil mix like?

Seems like you should be able to get at least some peas to form. I'm thinking maybe a nutrient deficiency, hence the reason I ask about the growing medium.

I am attempting peas for a second time after an unsuccessful crop last fall. My peas vines were a good 3-4 feet long, but I didn't manage them well and they never produced anything.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 2:52PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

We are getting ourselves confused again over the common name 'sweet pea'. The last two posts appear to be discussions Pisum sativum the edible vegetable pea. The OP may be asking about Lathyrus odoratus, grown solely for their flowers and not only not eaten but actually toxic. Or possibly the OP him/herself is mixing up the two. The words 'just wanted them for the blooms' would be redundant if referring to Lathyrus since that is their only purpose in a garden.

Sweet Peas(Lathyrus) grow well in the UK climate because of the slow and gradual increase in temperatures and the low maximum temps. I sow mine in January indoors. You could try starting yours even earlier indoors. That way you might have them advanced enough to bloom before the summer heat gets them.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:10AM
gardenper(8)

Yes I just mean the sweet pea for that are generally grown for flowers, not for eating. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Strange Pea problem - predator or what?
Hi. Last year, for the first time, my healthy green...
blueskink
Sponsored Products
Zebra Kiss Personalized Jewelry Roll
$78.00 | Horchow
Lumigos GuideLight Bug by Philips
$30.60 | Lumens
Chock Graphite LED Outdoor Wall Lantern with White Acrylic Diffuser
$496.00 | Bellacor
Outer Banks Collection Ceiling-Mount 2-Light Outdoor Matte Black Fixture
$72.00 | Home Depot
Hudson Reed Contemporary Bar Valve - Bottom Outlet
Hudson Reed