peas

dou47620April 6, 2007

My peas are up about 1.5 inches and then we have had this cold snap--3 nights of freeze and forecast is next two nights of hard freeze. Should I worry and can I do anything about it?

dou

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

I think peas can handle the amount of cold you will be getting from now on. My grandmother always planted peas on Good Friday in Western New York.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Peas

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 3:43PM
lelia(Northern Cal)

I planted my peas in the fall for a winter crop (I live in northern California), and they survived numerous freezes. During the really cold (icy) weather, I thought they looked a little sickly, but when it warmed up a little bit they took off and formed a jungle, with pea pods everywhere.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 4:57PM
jimster(z7a MA)

dou,

I don't know where you are, but I hope the record low temps that hit many parts of the country did not harm your peas. That's not what I was expecting when I made my first reply.

Jim

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 9:39PM
shot(8 - GA)

I live in central Georgia and took a hit from the cold weather. It only got a little below freezing for a night or two, but it appears I lost a few white acre, sandandy and red ripper peas. One plant may be fine, but then the next one may be completely down. Was that way over about 3 acres. My watermelons were not so lucky as it appears about half of them are dead. My wife lost about a third of her squash plants.

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 9:39AM
jimster(z7a MA)

Three acres? Man, I feel bad for you. I hope your yield won't be hurt too much. Sorry about those melons and squash.

Jim

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™