cheap t8's

thepodpiperFebruary 25, 2007

The lowes store in my area has off brand t8's for very cheap will I get the same out of these as I would the cheap t12's. I understand that it is all in the lumens maintenance hours and so on but i am already using the cheapest t12's I can find and my seedlings are doing great so if i can use a 1.00 t8 vs a 2.00 t12 and get the same results I would be happy. Thanks, Dale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Most likely they will work and give out more or less the same light as the T12s.

But:
- make sure the T8s will go in your fittings (look at the pins at the end)
- there is a small risk they won't light (probably will be OK if the pins are compatible)
- and you're wasting money/light buying the cheapest tubes ($1 tubes get dimmer after a thousand hours or so, $3 tubes run at full brightness for 20,000 hours)

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 1:39PM
thepodpiper

shrubs_n_bulbs, what # on a package of bulbs determines how fast the bulb will lose its brightness. dale

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 3:27PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Dale, this information is often not shown, or not shown prominently. It may be listed as lumen depreciation but usually not since that doesn't "sound good". You will find a note on the better tubes to the effect that they lose less than 10% or less than 5% of their brightness. You will commonly find a term called "mean lumens" in tube specs, this is the output at 40% (I think) of lamp life. You want a number that is as close to the "initial lumens" as possible. It is fairly easy to find mean lumens at 95% of initial lumens in a T8 fluorescent tubes. A very long life, which is always listed, is a good sign. Look for something quoting higher than 20,000 hours and you will almost certainly have very good lumen maintenance.

All this often ignored because even a 30% drop in brightness is hardly noticeable to our adaptable eyes, but it is very significant to a plant. Fluorecent plant lights have traditionally been discarded once they lose, say 20% of their light. In practice they were just swapped out every six months or a year. Using a tube that maintains 95% of full light output right until it fails means you just run the tube until it fails which might be 5 years or more.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 7:12AM
More Discussions
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
Dwarf Papaya growing and blooming under grow lights
Here are a couple pics of dwarf papaya plants that...
arctictropical
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™