waterbed heater

kaysbelle(z5IL)February 23, 2005

I was given a waterbed heater to start seeds. My question is this: I plan on putting the heater on a metal shelf. Should I put a pad under it and should I put a pad or metal shelf over it before setting my pots on it. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caosesvida(zone 7 del.)

well i used it great sucess, but the label said don't use unless water bed in full. So I lined a box with rubber roofing that I had with the heater under the rubber, I put water in it then bricks to set my seed boxes on, it worked great. The idea is that if the heater can't dissapate enough heat it will burn up (electrically) or shut off. I was thinking of putting under just bricks this year. will be setting it up this weekend. So to answer you question is its hard to say whether that would work or that it would be safe, If you get advice and you have a problem with it and you are not following the directions then there could be a problem. I am not saying that it won't work and I am struggling with it myself. so if anyone has used them dry please let me know. I am pretty sure it has to do with heat transfer and overtemp. but have not seen any data on that.

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Greens stunted, please help
Hello, I've been trying to grow salad greens with a...
kate104
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
Energy efficient grow lighting
We are probably going to buying a nice heavy duty heated...
oldbat2be
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™