Car Sunshade To Reflect Light?

dougdecincesFebruary 25, 2011

I have a few dozen plants growing under lights right now. It's crowding up my single fluorescent light setup, and I'm looking for ways to reflect/maximize light. My first idea was one of those reflective accordion car shades you put in windshields. It's cheap, it'd be roughly the same size, and it's something I can use over and over.

Of course, I'm still new to this whole game, so I'm open to any suggestions for making my fluorescent light setup more effective.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Expressions-111106-Max-Reflector-Standard/dp/B000CAINDE/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1298642586&sr=1-8

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penfold2(4b, MN)

I think most people (including myself) use mylar. It comes in rolls that can be cut to any size, and is cheaper per square foot than car sunshades. I got mine from a local hydroponics shop, but you can buy it online from any number of places.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 3:53PM
halfway(5a)

I watch for the emergency thermal blankets to go on clearance. They are strong mylar and very cheap.

Way cheaper than buying mylar at the hydro store. I think I may have enough to cover a warehouse, LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Hydroponic Adventure

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 3:56PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

That most likely is mylar covered cardboard. Mylar can be found fairly cheap at hobby and party stores. It's the same stuff fancy balloons are made from.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 4:28PM
ontheteam(5a-6 (S.Eastern, MA))

I DO use auto shades.... but I got them in the fall on clearance for like a dollar each..

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 3:52PM
Johnnybai

I use car sunshade to reflect light to making my fluorescent light setup more effective.
but my car sunshade material is silver nylon instead of the bubble car sunshade.
i think the link you show is bubble sunshade,
both the silver nylon sunshade and bubble sunshade can reflect light, but silver nylon car sunshade is more durable.
â¢This"Satin silver collapsible fabric auto sunshade"made of 190T Polyester with Silver reflective Coating to relfect light.
â¢silver reflective surface and black backside for virtually 100% sun reflect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a link of silver nylon car sunshade

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
New to Forum - some questions, comments about heating mats
I have been starting flower seeds indoors for years...
snapdrag
Yellow petunias
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong with my petunia...
birkjar
growing tomatoes indoors; what lights to use? help!
I basically want to grow tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants,...
kawaiineko_gardener
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™