Asiatic lilies from offsets

ifraser25(z11 Brazil)January 18, 2012

I want to increase my stock of Asiatic lilies by growing on the offsets. I have about 200 growing together at the moment in 3 large stock pots in rich soil (3x67!). The bulbs are still quite small, about the size of a chick pea.

My question is: what sort of timescale should I be thinking about for moving them on? I'm thinking about potting them on individually into 4 or 5 inch pots eventually until they are ready to go into the border, so I can keep them in rich compost. Our garden soil is too poor otherwise and I don't have a nursery area. How long before I do this? We have a very mild climate so they will be in growth throughout the winter. Now is summer!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Are you able to give your bulbs a cold period (vernalization), possibly in a refrigerator? You can google vernalization for lilies and get some better ideas. The following link also has some info. You can also e-mail them and ask your questions . Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily growing info

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 9:38PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

It's only really practical for me to vernalize a handful of adult bulbs. I was hoping I could keep these small ones in growth until they are big enough to pot on.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 9:24AM
liliaceae(7)

I start them in 4" pots also and I move them anytime.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™