Lily newbie - tell me about these . . .

linrose(6b KY)January 29, 2006

Silk Road, Copper Crown, White Henryi, Midnight and African Queen.

I'm doing a purple and orange themed border, can you recommend these or others that would do well for me. I have full sun and part shade areas available, which would be best? I'm in hot, humid zone 6b. The border is currently under lasagna sheet composting since last fall of shredded leaves and manure which will be turned in to the soil in mid-March or so.

Will any of these need staking? If any of these are very fussy I'd like to try easier varieties.

Thanks,

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdjoergensen

All of them should be good choices. Silk Road is very sturdy. White Henryi might need stalking. African Queen is best in partial shade.

Bookmark   January 30, 2006 at 4:14PM
joan_ontheprairie(5)

Hi Linda! I am following you around the forums! Thank you for asking good questions...I am following in your footsteps.
I do have Silk Road and LOVE it. It is tall but sturdy and I haven't had to stake it. Dreamy lavendery/creamy...
So many lilies...hard decision!
Have fun with your purple and orange border. I went nuts with orange last year and need more purple.

Joan

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 9:30AM
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Linrose, if you'd like a vivid red-orange, Brunello (Asiatic) is hard to beat.

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 6:27PM
linrose(6b KY)

I've been so busy in the pre-season sowing seed and preparing beds that I've neglected the forums. Shame on me! OK, so far I've aquired Black Beauty, African Queen and Regal lily. And being a totally impulse buyer I grabbed a couple of orange asiatics from Lowes and HD while waiting in line (my bad!) If they don't live, then, I won't feel that I've invested the time, energy, money (etc.)into them.

Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 9:17PM
Jeanne_in_Idaho(z5 N.Idaho)

Silk Road is a bright lavenderish pink, certainly not true lavender, so I don't know if it will work in your purple-orange bed.

Jeanne

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Help my Peace Lily? I think it might be dead....
It looks like this. Pretty unpromising. I think I watered...
cactussalad
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Head start with Oriental lily
Due to the long 100 day waiting period, I would like...
dan1018
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™