Lights?

dlongmoFebruary 13, 2014

I am new to all of this and have a couple very general questions.

1- I have a nice warm place to start seeds and wonder if their is an affordable way to give them the light that they need..
2- How much light do they need?
3- A repeat of question 1- Will lowes carry a bulb and if so what is it called..

I am growing tomatoes and bell peppers ..

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cherokee_(7a)

Your questions are extremely general, and can only be answered extremely generally, which probably wont be much help to you.

1: Unanswerable, since no one knows what your subjective interpretation of "affordable" is.

2: For tomatoes? A lot.

3: Lowes carries many bulbs.

You should research about growing plants in doors. Its a nice big topic, and youll seriously learn a lot on your first day.

If you are serious about growing indoors, youll want to research both fluorescent and gas discharge lamps (MH/HPS) to determine whats best for you at the moment.

If you just want to start a relatively small number of seedlings for several weeks then plant them outside, you could probably get away with a 2 foot 2 tube T5 HO fixture and a seed tray.

This post was edited by Cherokee_ on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 16:18

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 4:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andyinnyc

While we don't know the quantity/location of your setup, in general a 4 foot shop light with a pair of 40w bulbs will do very nicely for starting seedlings for outdoor planting.

After the seeds germinate, plan on 12-16 hours of light per day. Set the light up so that it is 2-3" above the top of the plants. You'll need to adjust the height weekly as the plants grow.

A cheap Home Depot/Lowes timer will do the trick for getting the lights on/off.

HD/Lowes will sell lengths of chains cut to your size. Buy some S hooks for the lights (you can also use the S Hook to tie off the top of the chain if it passes over a pole).

HD sells shop lights cheaply. For the 4 weeks between germination and transplant, a couple of shop lights will do wonders for allowing you to grow from seed the specific types of peppers and tomatoes you are interested in growing - as opposed to buying the transplants sold in your area.

Andrew

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
bulb question
I put a 75 W Philips Bulb - 120 volt- (Agro-Lite BR30)...
ellenr22
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™