English peas and fertilizer

oldpea(8)April 13, 2009

I was wondering if English peas need fertilizer. The Little Marvel peas vines look very small compared to the picture Farmadilla posted. The lower leaves also have some yellowing, but the new growth looks fine. The wind blows so much lately and we've had roller coaster temperatures, 28 one night and 77 with wind the same week, hail, tornados. Gee, maybe I should just be glad the peas are still alive : )

This year may present some special challenges, for a lot of us, to say the least.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Depending on the fertility of your soil, English peas may need some fertilizer. I prefer an NPK ratio of 1-2-1. Phosphate is perhaps the most important, but especially early in cool weather just a touch of nitrate will help get them going. Very little tho. Little Marvel is small by nature, but should get 12 inches or so when blooming.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 3:27PM
anney(Georgia 8)

oldpea

I gotta' agree about the weather. I have some hardened off tomato plants I'm holding back on planting until the night temps are predicted to stay in the 50s, and that isn't coming up this week, still in the low to mid 40s.

Probably good pea-growing weather but I didn't plant my Aldermans this spring, thought it was too late to get them harvested and replace them with my summer beans in time.

FarmerDee, I thought nitrogen was the kiss of death for peas! Interesting to learn that they'll do well with a bit of it.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 4:41PM
oldpea(8)

Thank you, farmerdilla. I don't consider English peas a 'real' pea. To me they're just a good vegetable.
I do know southern peas don't do well with added nitrogen.
Same here on the tomatoes, anney.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™