Transplanting String Beans

Mallard712April 27, 2013

I am a former black thumb that is trying to get into gardening my own vegetables. I have started with string beans, as I heard that they are easy to grow. I have had a few in a small planting cup inside that seem to be outgrowing the space They are about 4 to 5 inches tall. Are there any tips for safely transplanting them?

They have also grown at an angle because they were getting sun from a window, and growing towards the sun. Is there any way to train them to grow straight now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

Beans can be started indoors if necessary, but it is not the easiest, most foolproof method because it is difficult to provide the proper growing conditions indoors. I would guess that most gardeners, myself included, have never started beans indoors. Direct seeding them in the garden is easy.

On Long Island, I would think that planting the seeds outdoors a couple of weeks from now would bring the most success. They grow quite rapidly and you should get an early harvest.

Jim

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 5:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

Now I see that a thread on starting beans indoors has been revived. The posters on that thread know their stuff and gives some alternatives to the advice I have given.

Jim

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™