growing card. giganteum from scales

tgodlove(x7 NY)January 12, 2006

Just got two large bulbs from McClure and Zimmerman. I'm assuming that, even though it's not a true lilium, it can be scaled. Experience anyone?

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azngrnthumbs

Are you talking about Cardiocrinum?

The scales are so fibrous it'll be difficult to separate it with a portion of the basal plate. I've also never seen it produce bulbs on severed portion of the scale like a fleshy Lilium can often do.

It's worth experimenting, but your best bet is to plant the bulb whole and not set it back further by disturbing the bulb. It'll reach flowering size and, hopefully, leave behind some bulblets.

Best of luck!

Riz

Bookmark   January 14, 2006 at 1:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caflowerluver

I was curious as what kind of lily this was and looked it up on the web. I found this information which you might find interesting.
"After pollination the petals fall off and the swelling ovary lengthens and turns upright from its formerly pendant position. The flower stalks age beautifully in the fall and on a dry day, the seed pods split open and shimmering drifts of delicate seed float down to the ground. This year, for the first time, we have some seedlings coming up. In another seven years these seedlings should flower and start the cycle over."

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™