Once Blooming Iris reblooming

cupshaped_roses(6)July 22, 2012

My Empress of India Iris have rebloomed the last 3 years - they bloom in June and again in September/October. The flowers look like the right cultivar - so I do not think I got mislabeled rizomes ... but it should only bloom once - but is reblooming here - is this a sport?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

No, it would not be a sport, although the tendency to rebloom is genetic. It probably just means that you have outstanding gardening skills and that you are providing perfect conditions for the iris. Quite a few irises that are not listed as reblooming varieties bloom a second time in Southern California because the conditions here are so salubrious.

It's also possible you got a different iris, since historic irises are pass-a-long plants and can get mixed up. There are a number of reblooming lavendar blue historic irises that look similar to yours. Do you have a photo? It would be nice to see it in your lovely garden.

Renee

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 2:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cupshaped_roses(6)

Thank you for your reply. I sadly do not have a picture of it. I tend to lean to the mixed up/mislabed explanation - since I live in Northern Europe - and this iris seems to bloom in late May and again in October - some years the late flowers didn't develop since it was too cold ...our winters are cold - nothing like SoCal growing conditions .-)

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™