Avoiding lily beatles?

sue36(Z5 Maine)January 28, 2008

This is the year I am going to finally be able to build teh garden bed in from of my wrap around porch. The loam was brought in and spread in October and the beds were dug out by machine and loam brought in. I still need to work in compost and get gutters put up.

Since we don't have lilies (the garden I have put in doesn't have any) we don't have any lily beatles. I am hesitant to do anything that will bring them in because I don't have the patience to pick and DH just loves to get the sprayer out. If I buys bulbs only, no plants and no transplants, can I avoid the beatles? Or will they find me? We are on almost 4 acres and the neighbors to either side don't have lilies, the ones across the street do (maybe 400-500 feet away), but I don't know if they've had beatles or not.

What do you think? Also, your favorite, reputable sources are appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

My first question is "Are you in an area of the country where lily beetles are a problem?" I had to do some research to find out a little about them as so far anyhow they are not a problem here. We'll knock on wood and hope it stays that way. From what I've read if you have lilies as well as a variety of other plants and you're in an area with lily beetles, they're likely to find you. Neem oil is said to be quite effective at controlling the adults and larvae.I'm sure there are other people out there who have dealt with them who could give you better info than I can. Hopefully some of them will visit the forum soon. If the search function is working I know there was a thread on here about lily beetles last summer. You might want to try searching here.

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 11:32PM
hopflower(z8/z15 CA Sunset)

If lily beetles are around, they will find you eventually. It is fact. If you don't have any at all right now, count yourself lucky.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 12:43PM
cherbirdwise

Hi Again,
Here's a ? for you all re red lily beatles> What would be the natural beneficial insect/s that would go after them, like dragonflies go after mosquitos> Would lady bugs help? We've got tons of those. Maybe there is a forum just for that but I love lilys os much I really appreciate this forum. Cher (BIRDWISE)

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 1:54AM
philomena(z 5A NY)

No, so far they have no insect predator. The lily beetle is not native, so we were pretty defenseless when they initially showed up. Here's a good, informative article, with pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: lily beetle info

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 11:20PM
More Discussions
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
Help my Peace Lily? I think it might be dead....
It looks like this. Pretty unpromising. I think I watered...
cactussalad
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Head start with Oriental lily
Due to the long 100 day waiting period, I would like...
dan1018
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Fouta Yarn-Dyed Stripe Duvet Cover
Serena & Lily
Family Reunion Abstract - MULTI COLORS
$385.00 | Horchow
Precious Petals Deluxe Moses Carrier - Pink - 890431 - PINK
$258.99 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Ventura Duvet Cover
Serena & Lily
RST Brands Delano 9 Piece Corner Sectional Sofa and Club Chairs Set Multicolor -
Hayneedle
Silver Ribbon Pillow 20"Sq. - SILVER
$175.00 | Horchow
Blue Brown and Red Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$506.00 | Bellacor
Radiance? Nickel Lily Mini Pendant with Kelly Green and White Glass
$178.20 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™