Martagon Lilies from seed

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. CanadaJanuary 15, 2010

I've grown Trumpets and Asiatics from seed many times but this is my first time with Martagons. My seed is just about a month along in the warm stage in damp perlite, all the seeds are showing roots. Should I leave them another 2 months and then put them in fridge for 3 months or put them in the fridge now or....?

Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora2b(z6a bc)

I started some Martys from seed, but it has been about 4 years ago. I just checked my NALS lily book and it says to place in warm place until most seed has formed little bulblets and roots (2-3months). Then store in bag, securely fastened, in fridge for 2-3 months more (can stay in fridge longer if need be)
Then plant out as for quick type seeds. The first true leaf will show in a week or two.
My martys didn't give me any leaves the first year or two and I thought they didn't make it but last year I had leaves. Only 3 or so years to go till flowers!!!

Someday this....

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 11:47PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Thanks Flora I'll do that, I was so surprised to see them sending out roots so soon after sowing the seed I thought I should check.

Bookmark   January 16, 2010 at 2:24PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

The first warm stage when the bulblets grow needs to be at least 3 months. Shorter will mean smaller bulblets. If there is time to extend that stage to 4 months, all the better.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 11:29PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

leftwood, so this warm stage is quite important, I'll try and leave them as long as possible, thanks for the heads up.

Annette

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™